Saturday, April 3, 2010

Step Nine: Have Fun

Dear Readers,

I was babysitting two sweet little girls the other day and while we were watching The Princess and the Frog (good movie, by the way) the two pretty girls wanted me to dance with them. So we stood up and started to dance. The lesson the Lord was teaching me only just began to sink in. Tonight, I turned on my Disney playlist (yes, I have a playlist dedicated specifically to Disney songs) and in between putting the dishes away I allowed myself to dance. As I spun around, doing a ditzy little twirl, it hit me – God was using those gorgeous girls to teach me a lesson. Sometimes we just need to have some fun, to cut back and let loose, no matter how old we are. And the more I thought about it, the more I realized God has been showing me this for... years.

Recently, my genius (and I mean that in a literal sense, she really is a genius – we are talking valedictorian, 4.8 GPA, 32 of 36 on the ACT) friend decided that she was going to dye her hair pink. When the pink didn't show up, she dyed it blue. Now, imagine a Rori Gilmore-esk girl, standing at the podium with blue hair... Classic right?!?! Granted by the time we graduate, all remnants of blue hair should have disappeared, but my smart friend taught me the same thing. We are never too old (or too responsible) to have fun. 

I used to volunteer at an old folks home, and I met the most amazing 97 year old woman. Her walker always had some kind of stuffed animal dangling from it, and in a side pocket she always kept some kind of sweet treats for any one of the little kids running around. Even with her hips hurting and her need for a walker she always did the cha-cha whenever we parted for the month. She was kind and sweet like her name (Ms. Daisy) and full of Texan sass. 

So here it is, don't get so caught up in your rank, responsibilities, age or any other thing that you stop having fun. It's important to enjoy yourself, and to do it without guilt for what you think you are supposedly sacrificing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment