Sunday, September 5, 2010

Step Forty-Eight: Home

Dear Readers,

I am learning a lot at college. We're talking mass intake of Old Testament stories, Biological systems central to any living creature, the building of massive structures by ancient civilizations... but what I am learning most about is God. What I find most amazing is how God is redefining words, He is literally taking words out of the context with which I associated, knew and understood them and He is radically redefining them. Let me share a few examples:

Homework – up until this point, homework has been busy work. Especially in my honors courses. It was worksheets you were expected to do, that "guided" your learning but really was just a waste of time for both you and the teacher. Now, teachers assign reading. In fact the word homework is practically synonymous with the word reading (with the exception of the occasional paper).

Fruit – Coloradans don't know what good fruit is. It is a heart breaking fact. Fresh, ripe, delicious fruit does not exist in Colorado. I have a quickly expanding list of fruits that I adore here in California and I am so excited about that!

But these are both lighter examples, and much to our dismay, God rarely stays "light." God is about the heavy stuff. He deals with matters of the heart. And the heavy word we have been redefining? Home.

In part, this is an obvious word to redefine. I am 1000+ miles away from what I used to call home, obviously I am redefining "home." But it goes so far beyond that! The dictionary defines home as "the dwelling place" and lists words like "refuge" and "shelter" as synonyms. Home is a place of tremendous safety, at least it should be.

While attending Jessup, I have friends who have become my pseudo-parents. These friends have brought me into their home, adopted me into their family, and blessed me with their unconditional love. It has completely redefined the word "home" for me. It delights my heart to return home for the weekend to their house. It is amazing to have their children run to me in excitement, just wanting a hug. It is astounding to be delighted in as a child in my very own home.

But God has revealed to me another amazing thing about home. Home is not a noun, it's a verb. That is to say, "home" is not a location, it is a condition. It is a condition of your heart. When your heart rests, unfolding itself peacefully in the knowledge that all is well. When your heart begins to unveil its beauty naturally, willing to be delighted in by those around it. That is home. It is a place that goes with you wherever you go. There are places in the world that mirrors this condition, places that evoke you to feel at peace. There are people in the world who invite us into this condition with them, who invite us to unveil our beauty.

So this is my challenge to you, go home this week. Regardless of where you are, what home looks like for you personally, or your physical location. Go home. Entice your heart and the hearts of those around you to find peace. Invite them to reveal the beauty that is budding inside of them. I invite you to live from the condition of home this week. Live within peace and beauty and watch it radically change your life, you will not be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment