Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Step Fifty: Blessings Return

Dear Readers,

Today I was reminded of a very important lesson – blessings return.

We all know that college kids are poor. Even the ones who have jobs still only make minimum wage working minimum hours (no complaints here, though) and still have a bunch of expenses (books aren't cheap, and neither is tuition) so whenever and whatever we give is given with sacrifice. We are not widows who struggle for food, but we do understand the idea behind taking a leap of faith, trusting Him to provide even when we cannot see how.

Last week, I made an evaluation of my finances. I had just enough to cover my expenses until pay day. So long as I was frugal and cautious I would have no reason to fret. At this point, I started talking with a friend about an upcoming event going on at campus. As we were talking, God impressed it on my heart to give her money. I protested (its thinking back on moments like this that I am truly grateful that God values patience so highly). I argued that I only had enough to cover my expenses and if I gave money away then I wouldn't be able to pay them. As is typical when I argue with God, I lost. So off to the bank I went.

It was an amazing gift to give. Not only did it bind me ever closer to her sweet heart, but it also was an amazing act of worship. I knowingly and purposefully jumped off the edge of a cliff just to see what God would do. I thought it was an amazing thing to have been blessed by simply partaking in the process! I mean how cool is it that God would use me to make someone else smile?! Today I went to check my mail box, low and behold I had a letter containing a check with more than triple of that which I gave my friend. It was totally unexpected and completely mind-blowing.

Blessings return two fold, three fold, one-hundred and one-thousand fold. I was blessed first and foremost by partaking in God's process of loving another. I got to act on God's behalf, to offer on God's behalf, so that one of His own might know that they are loved (yes, I am talking to you now dear). Then, as if acting on behalf of the Creator of All isn't enough, He returned those finances.

So here is my advice, do not hesitate to bless others with what you have, for no deed and no gesture goes unnoticed by Him. He will never fail to return those blessings to you in quantities far exceeding your own capabilities!

1 comment:

  1. So very VERY true!!! I was just talking with my friend this morning about how cool God is--I was reminding her about when I met her she was just going to "fill in for a few days" as an assistant to me in my preschool classroom I was teaching. She was a recently divorced 55-year old woman, trying to figure out life as a new Christian. She said God just impressed upon her heart to help out the preschool, which is part of her church, until they could find another person for the job. Well...she ended up being my assistant the entire year--my partner in crime:) When I left, she became the teacher. And now...well, since she listened to God and was obedient to help...guess where I was talking to her this morning? Yep. At the very same preschool where Bailey is now going...and she is now the director. :) How very GREAT is our God!!!

    ReplyDelete