Saturday, September 11, 2010

Step Forty-Nine: Be Spontaneous

Dear Readers,

I am coming to accept that if you want to live a bold life, you have to be spontaneous. Now, don't get me wrong, I love plans. Plans are good. But if you cling so drastically to your plans that you do not allow for spontaneity, life will be boring. It just will be. So what does it mean to be spontaneous?

It means randomly doing something crazy and fun, like dying your hair pink! That's right, you are now taking advice from a pink haired college kid! On Thursday our R.A. was dying one of the girl's hair in the dorm red, she had left over bleach and a bunch of colors so a huge groups of us decided we wanted to dye our hair too! We started at mid-night and laughed ourselves into exhaustion until 3 in the morning! Crazy? Yes! Fun? Most definitely! If I had gone to bed, as I had planned, instead of saying "I'm gonna do it!" then my entire college experience would be completely different, but because I was able to scrap my original plan I had an amazing opportunity to get to know some amazing women!

But it also means randomly choosing to act in love. That means dropping everything to crawl into grass you are allergic to, to hold a friend who is crying. It means baking amazingly delicious cookies for a friend whose heart is breaking. It even means randomly delivering a princess wand to a beautiful woman who needs some inspiration. You see love is in its very own nature is spontaneous, it is not planned. When we cling to our plans, we limit our ability to love.

My challenge for you is to become aware. Opportunities for spontaneity are all around you, all you have to do is say "yes"!

No comments:

Post a Comment