Thursday, December 9, 2010

Step Fifty-Nine: Go Treasure Hunting

Dear Readers,

It is the week before finals... a.k.a. the week you give yourself a heart attack panicking because you still have several unwritten term papers and you should have started studying ages ago. Having finished a second consecutive paper and feeling slightly stressed I decided it was time to blow off some steam. As I was returning tonight I ran into a friend I have been longing to talk to, but have not had time to mesh schedules with. I choose to believe that it was divine procrastination that brought us together. As I embraced my friend and engaged her in conversation, the stresses of school and change and life fell away. As I genuinely took a moment to delight in her beauty and in our friendship, I let my priorities realign themselves. I was less concerned about the motion of individual slides on tomorrow's powerpoint slide and more concerned with loving this wonderful woman and delighting in her heart.

I took a moment to hit the pause button of life. I took a moment to bask in the beauty that God has granted my friend. Dipped my heart in a wellspring of wisdom. And it was wonderful!

The reality is we all need a pause button. Better yet, we need to be our own pause button. We were uniquely created to be in community with God AND with others. If we are so busy doing things that we cease to see the beauty that God has endowed each and every one of us then it is past time to hit that pause button. Take a moment and allow our priorities realign themselves. When the clock strikes midnight (figurative, not the 30 minutes from now midnight) the grade I got on my history paper, the amount of study time I put into my courses, nor the number of perfect scores I get will have any weight. Instead it will be conversations like the one I had tonight in which God's face is unveiled through my friend that I will spend eternity unraveling.

I told my friend that each of us has a hidden treasure within us. God has given each of us some unique characteristic, some individual aspect of Himself. It is my joy to dive into my own heart and into the hearts of those around me in search of those gems. And when I get into heaven, I imagine that on the rainy gray days Jesus and I will sit down with some kettle corn by a purple fire burning in the shape of a dinosaur and we will start to piece together the puzzle of God. The trick is to find enough of the pieces to make a picture!

So, when in doubt, pause all that adult-y stuff and go treasure hunting with your friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment