Sunday, May 16, 2010

Step Twenty-Five: Learning to Laugh at God's Irony

Dear Readers, 

Yes, I know, I have encouraged you to laugh more on several occasions (I'm hoping that my repetitive-ness will reveal how very important laughter is to a bold life) however this one is different, in a way. 

So I was babysitting for a new "client" last night. Early in the day, I asked her if I would be making dinner that night. She told me that she would have pizzas ready to go. We then proceeded on to joke that she is a slave driver and that I would be scrubbing bio-hazardous waste out of her toilets (don't ask me how we got to that topic). It was highly entertaining, at the time. But, oh, the irony of God. 

The kids were just finishing their pizza when one of them came rushing in. Yep, you guessed it, the toilet flooded. Now, you would think that I would have predicted this, given the massive amounts of foreshadowing, but more often than not, I don't read my life  like a book and I miss those subtle hints. However, God's message wasn't lost on me. 

Let's just be perfectly honest here, sometimes stuff happens. It just does. Toilet's flood, kids throw up, poopy diapers get thrown (by the way, all of these things have happened to me on babysitting gigs). We can be frustrated and angry and ticked off that life happens this way, or we can learn to laugh at the irony of it. I cannot say I was happy mopping up toilet water, but it did make me laugh. How ironic and humorous is our God that He would foreshadow a flooded toilet? God's a comedian and life's a whole heck of a lot more entertaining when we laugh at His jokes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment