Saturday, August 6, 2011

Step Seventy-Six: A New Metaphor

Dear Readers,

I wrote this blog a few months ago. I felt very much like a pebble amongst a basket full of jewels. I waited patiently and hopefully, eagerly anticipating the moment I felt like a jewel amongst the jewels. A friend told me that this summer was making me into a jewel amongst a basket full of jewels. In this moment, God gave me a new metaphor. I am a pebble but I am a pebble in the hand of God and that is far better than any jewel in a basket.

Jewels are stones. We forget that but they are. Size wise they are actually pebbles themselves. They sparkle a bit more than the average pebble but that's all. There is nothing about a jewel that gives itself value. A jewel gets it's value by being bought. A jewel left unpaid for in a basket is worth as much as any other pebble.

I became a jewel 6 years ago. 6 years ago I looked at a wooden cross hanging in our church and I said yes. I was bought back. I was bought as a very expensive pebble. God gave His only son to buy me back. Though I did not sparkle, though I was not radiant, I became a jewel in that moment. It was finished then. I could not become worth more, I could not be valued higher. I was, at that moment, all I could be.

The beauty of our Savior is that He allows a pure and holy God to pick up defiled pebbles and turn them into jewels.

"He has made everything beautiful in its time." (Ecclesiastes 3:11)

No comments:

Post a Comment