Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Step Seventy-Three: The Power of Words

Dear Readers,

I was talking to fellow wordsmith today about, what else, words. We were talking about the word "vibrant" and how much life and excitement we felt around this one simple word. How much meaning and depth a single word can have. This, of course, prompted me to think about words as a whole.

I've mentioned before that I believe words have the power to speak life or speak death. I think it's important to note that the power of words is a cornerstone of my blog. By writing and sharing my words I get to experience two very powerful and unique things.

The words I write, which are generally prayers, become building blocks in my life. When the words I write are uplifting and praise bringing, I find myself living that out. When the words I write or negative, I find myself struggling (note here that negative is not synonymous for hard, hard stuff can be just as uplifting as praise blogs like this). When I write out my thoughts and hopes on wanting to be bolder, wanting to be more valiant, I get to see them actualize in my life.

I also get to share myself, my story, and my Lord with you through my words. It is a privilege and an honor that you take precious moments of time to consider my words. I thank you for that.

So in the honor of words I decided to list off some of my favorite words. I, sometimes, get fixated on words. I find that they usually represent some theme in my life and I find myself using them or thinking about them constantly.

Vibrant - this has been my latest word. It is just so full of life! It rolls off my tongue and feels like an array of color bursting forth. It is dripping in beauty. It is strong, moving, powerful.

Tarnished - this also has been rolling around my head a lot recently. It isn't as straight-forward as "vibrant". There isn't even a concrete description of this one, however, my wordsmith friend described my feelings towards it very well. Sometimes, when silver interacts with different agents in it's environment the silver will tarnish. To an untrained eye, this would make the silver appear useless. However, under a master smithy the silver can be returned to it's original and beautiful state. It just needs some TLC.

Dwell - I love the idea of a dwelling place. I often think of the Narnian ruins and how easy it would be to spend all day there marveling at the sights. See a dwelling place is far more than a home, it is a place of peace and restoration. A place that you can never get enough of, a place that you never want to leave. That the spirit dwells inside of me is actually a great compliment. It isn't just that God won't leave me, it's that He doesn't want to leave me!

Captivating - I admit, the book Captivating by John and Stasi Elderidge had a huge influence with this word. Captivating is poised in feminine power, it is overflowing with beauty. It is beauty that invites and entices you, beauty that intrigues you. It is the kind of beauty you can't stop taking in. You drink it in, hoping to gather enough details to remember everything about this exact moment, to freeze it in your memory to have forever. It is a basis for love.

Devastated - this ones harder to admit. It speaks of destruction and defilement, or great sorrow and lost. It is life at it's most painful.

Redeemed - redemption. To be bought back. There is life in this word. I speak it and I can feel it's power coursing through my tongue. There is only one redeemer and the price He paid for us was greater than we could imagine. Yet His love for us far exceeded the weight of that cost. Redemption... it's an oasis, a miracle spring, in miles of desert.

Protect - to protect and be protected... it's sacrificial. A protector gives everything of themselves. The protected are cherished, delighted in beyond all comparison. They are worthy of sacrifice.

Wounded - this one is, perhaps, self explanatory. However, to be wounded implies far more than being hurt. It is deeper, stronger.

Inscribed - I probably just love this word because it's another way of saying writing, but I also love the ideas behind inscription. Carving something into something. Putting time and intention into your words... it gives them weight and purpose. An inscription can never be erased, like a scar it will always be there.

Delight - I love this word. It's practically composed of innocence and fun. You can hear a child's laugh even as the word is spoken. Glee, celebration, over whelming joy. I love that we can delight in our Lord. We can celebrate Him. Find joy in Him. Be childlike in Him. But I also love that HE delights in us. That He celebrates us and dances over us. That He rejoices in us as His children!

So there you have it. 10 of my favorite words. What are some of your favorite words and how are they impacting your life? Remember words have power – written, spoken or thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment