Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Step Thirty-Five: Just Go For It

Dear Readers,

In the aforementioned box of sentimental things, I found a small yellow piece of scrap paper. Scrawled in almost legible print is the number of one of my three mama bears, given to me by her husband at what attendees affectionately called "Dirt Camp." I had mentioned to him how I didn't like how sunshine and lollipops my mama bear was, realizing that I had the wrong impression of her, he urged me to call or email her. When I showed the two of them this piece of paper, my papa bear made a remark that got me thinking, he said "I had no idea what that would turn in to." What he meant by that was 5 years earlier he could not imagine that I would have become their adopted daughter, lived with them for a month, or, on that particular night, be celebrating Father's Day with and for him. 

The more I think about my life, the more I realize that it is one "I had no idea it would turn into this" after another. My life is composed with a tiny million yellow slips of paper – opportunity. Some lost, some fully taken advantage of, and still others undetermined, as of yet. For example, who knew that in deciding to look at a website I'd end up at the school of my dreams ? Or that in telling one semi-stranger in an email that I like her for her lack of professional signature and her use of "lots o' love" that I would find one quirky mentor and two adorable princesses? Or that in saying yes to an invitation to attend a church my entire life would change? I certainly didn't. God is quirky that way. His timing is His entirely. He uses yellow scrap paper, elevator hokey pokies, old folk's nail polish and McDonald's to build our lives. Puzzle piece by puzzle piece, it is chaos randomly colliding. Pieced together, though, they play the harmony of our life and there is no sweeter tune! 

So here's my borderline cliche advice: you only live life once, so just go for it. Worst comes to worst, you chalk it up as a failed attempt and use it to plan your next adventure. But if it works, you could find yourself saying "I had no idea it would turn into this!" God's handed you more yellow slips than you could possibly imagine, but it's up to you to dial the number. 

No comments:

Post a Comment